Articles and talks
We’ve compiled a list of links to articles and audio resources that offer provocative insights and ideas on life, including the second half of life. The views expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of Sage-ing International but a diversity of opinions and perspectives about conscious living and dying in the 21st century.
Recent Links to articles, films and podcasts on aging
- From the National Endowment for the Arts: Staying Engaged: Health Patterns of Older Americans Who Participate in the Arts.
- An approach to conscious dying and living: The Death and Life of John Shields
- Long, but worth it! Living with Alzheimers.
- Humorous with some “I don’t care” language: What Not to Wear After Age 50: in Adult Language.
- Thoughtful & useful: The Tree of Contemplative Practices.
- FILMS. “Time Goes By: What it’s really Like to Get Old” offers a treasure trove of films recommended by Roni Bennett.
- A thoughtful article by Honored Sage, HR Moody, featured speaker at the SI conference, Aging in Place: The ELEPHANT in the Room.
- Dreams and aging. “Dreams for the Second Half of Life” audio podcast interview with HR Moody Fierce with age: This summer issue is so loaded with good stuff that you need to look at the whole issue. Carol Orsborn was a featured speaker at the SI Conference.
- A podcast by SI’s board member, Jerome Kerner, with an excellent overview of sage-ing. http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/4/
2/d424e9262829927a/BG121316_ mono.mp3?c_id=13593086& expiration=1491183217&hwt= ce799fbd0ef782df6bb447b75e7e0e 85.
TED Talks on Aging
- Kathleen Taylor: Do it now! Rethinking the Bucket List
- Isabelle Allende: How to live passionately—no matter your age
- Jane Fonda: Life’s Third Act
- Ashton Applewhite: Let’s End Ageism
- A recollection of elders telling family stories
- Family caregiving
- Age-ism in America
- Intergenerational perk
- Musings on old age by Victoria Howard: a Buddhist view
- Oliver Sacks on being 80
- The Wisdom of the Aged
- I do this. Do you?
- Are we growing or standing still?
- Over 85 and hangin’ in there
- Want to Come Out and Play?
- The 6 assets of aging.
http://www.genlearn.org GenLearn provides educational programs for older adults, caregivers, and/or those who have limited mobility. We connect you to programs and experts across the world – right in the comfort of your own home.
Stirred by Music to Conversation and Compassion, by Mary Kiki Wilcox, inspires us about the spiritual impact of music for elders. Reviewed at:
seniorlearningnetwork.com Children’s-song/about elders.
- New York Times article: “Caregiving is Hard Enough. Isolation can Make it Unbearable.”
- End of life
- What Old Age Is Really Like
- Speaking of Dying, a 5 minute video – charming!
- “We Can Die Better” A new on-line magazine edited by Stephen Garrett
- Sacred Dying: Megory Anderson
- Jeff Foster/Life without a centre. A powerful voice for the dying.
- http://theconversationproject.org/ Created by Ellen Goodman, this site offers a “how to” manual on clarifying what it is you want to say and how to tell loved ones your wishes regarding your death. Even though the majority of people don’t want to burden their children/family, a very small percentage clearly communicates their actual desires